February 28, 2015
Hotel rooms for the Lone Star Regional
Marriott Courtyard has agreed to provide us some rooms at their location for $120 per night. This offer will continue until January 22nd. They will also be able to provide a shuttle to the Hotel. For reservations call Emily @ 713-576-5541 or click on this link to go directly to reservations.
Results of the WBA 99r Tournament
You can see the results of the 99r Tournament held this past weekend at the Westside Bridge Academy by clicking here. With pictures!
They then sent a notice to all clubs and units emphasizing that they must have permission from each Member before distributing or posting a Member directory. Unit 174 does not currently have any way for Members to grant or deny that permission, hence there will be no new directory printed and distributed during the upcoming Lone Star Regional. It also means that the directory on the Unit web site must be shut down until such a method is implemented.
The Unit board has chosen to give Members the opportunity to “OPT OUT” of being included in the paper and on-line directories at the hospitality desk during the upcoming Lone Star Regional, at all Unit 174 sectionals, or electronically via the Unit web site. All new members will be given that opportunity when they join.
Once that method has been implemented, the Unit can then proceed with printing a new directory and reactivate the directory on the Unit web site.
Please be sure to take a minute to stop by the Hospitality Desk if you want your information excluded from the Unit directory.
Westside Bridge Academy
The Houston Bridge Studio has been purchased by Jennifer and Jimmy Breihan and Katherine and Bert Onstott and renamed to be the Westside Bridge Academy. Westside ran their first game today.
Their website is at www.WestsideBridgeAcademy.com. Check it out!
District 16 NAP
The district level qualfying was held January 3rd and 4th in Austin, and several Unit 174 pairs did well.
It was nearly a clean sweep in Flight B, with half the qualifying pairs coming from our unit: David Crooks and Bill Kiehnhoff were first and Daniel Jackson and Bill McCarty were second!
And in Flight C Joan and Keith Ritter came in third.
Congratulations and good luck in New Orleans!
You can see all the results on the District web site by clicking here.
Lone Star Regional Schedule Changes
The ACBL Board has approved a change to Regional Tournament schedules that allows Gold Point events to begin Monday afternoon. The LSR will now have a full schedule beginning at 2:30 pm on Monday. The new Monday Gold point events are an Open Charity Pairs Championship and a Bracketed Swiss. Both are 2 session events.
Also the LSR will have Mid-Flight pairs for the first time in conjunction with the Gold Rush pairs events on Wednesday and Saturday. These will be the strats for those events:
|Ax Pairs||A: 5000+||Ax: 0-5000|
|Mid-Flight Pairs||B: 1500-3000||Bx: 0-1500|
|Gold Rush Pairs||C: 300-750||Cx: 0-300|
The changes were just approved at the ACBL Board of Directors meeting in Providence, Rhode Island this Fall.
Also note that the Monday evening schedule will begin at 7:30 pm.
All the details are shown in the flyer to the right.
Apple DBC will be closed on Monday, January 19th, Monday, January 26th, and Friday January 30th.
Bridge Club of Houston
- Saturday, January 10 – Volunteer & Membership Appreciation Party.
- Members will play for $5.
- Pot Luck meal @11 am.
- Game @12 noon.
- Tuesday, January 13 - New Supervised game
- GAME IS NOT SANCTIONED -- FURNISHED HAND RECORDS -- DON’T NEED A PARTNER -- FREE TO ASK QUESTIONS -- COST $5
- Wednesday, January 14 – Ben & Lenna Landers Life Master Party.
- Meal @11am.
- Game @11:55am.
- Saturday, January 24 – Annual Membership meeting @11:45 am.
- Game @ 12 noon.
- Board Meeting following game.
- The club will be closed January 26-February 1 for the Lone Star Regional
Westside Bridge Academy
- Birthday Party for Ed Groner!
- Wednesday, January 21st at 10:30!
- Lunch from The Olive Garden will be provided!
- The Academy will provide a cake!
- Your favorite side dish and appetizers will be welcome!
- Come on out and have a great time!
- New Games!
- On Thursday morning there will be a 499r game alongside the Open game! On the 8th, we had 7 1/2 tables, so it's a nice game. Come on out and make it even bigger!
- On Thursday evening there is now a Barometer game at 7:00! If you've never played a Barometer game, it's where every pair plays the same boards every round, so you get to see your matchpoint score and where you stand at the end of each round. It's great fun - come on out and give it a try. We will make sure the game is over by 10:15.