September 19-22, 2013
Nearly Summer Sectional Results
Results from this weekend's sectional tournament can be seen here.
May Board Meeting Minutes
The minutes of the May Board of Directors' meeting have been approved and posted on this site. You may read them here.
John Zilic's Annual Electricity Survey
Once a year John Zilic surveys the Texas electicity providers to find the best deals. This year he has found rates as low as $0.085/kwh.. If you want to know more, contact him at (281 686-8683 or email@example.com.
Youth NABC Subsidy – Unit 174
This is certainly worth reporting!
The unit has voted to support Youth players who participate in the Youth NABC.
Up to $300/ person will be paid to 4 qualifying players after participation in the Youth NABC is verified.
You must be an ACBL member and be 19 years old or younger when the event is played.
- Play 2 sessions in the 0-49 Saturday pairs events at the June Sectional with the same youth partner.
- Finish with an average for the 2 sessions with a minimum of 50% and be one of the top two youth pairs participating in the event.
- Life masters are not eligible for Masterpoints in the event, but must play to be eligible for the subsidy.
North American Pairs Qualifying games at Clubs are back!
Now’s your chance to earn half red/half black points at 100% sectional rating at your own local club. (This about triple the points awarded in a club masterpoint game. A club mp game pays 1 point for 1st place in a 10 table game; a NAP game will pay about 3.3 points). During June, July, and August, each club is allowed to hold two NAP games per sanction per month.
This prestigious event is staged in qualifying rounds at the club, unit, and district levels. It culminates in a final held in conjunction with the 2014 Spring NABC in Dallas.
The games are flighted: Flight eligibility is based on the May 6, 2013 masterpoint cycle: A (Open): B (0 to 2,000) and C (0 to 500, NLM).
Pairs who qualify at the District level qualify to attend the NABC in Dallas. In addition,1st place qualifiers will receive $700/per person and 2nd place $300/per person. In addition, there are no entry fees for the National event once you have qualified. ACBL also awards the District with most tables in play at the club level an additional qualifying spot, so support your clubs when they hold qualifying games. You can earn more points every time!
Schedule is as follows:
- Club level: June, July, August
- Unit level: November 9th and 10th, 2013. See the flyer to the above right for all the details.
- District level: January 18-19, 2014, Omni Hotel, San Antonio
- National level: At the Spring 2014 NABC in Dallas
Bridge Club of Houston
- NEW GAME Starting Saturday, June 1st there will be a 0 – 49 game at 1pm. Players need to come at 12:30 pm for a lesson prior to the game. Table Fee is $5. Lu Edwards is the Teacher/Director.
- Swiss team “8 is Enough” – Thursday, June 13th.
- Club Closed June 14-16
- Nighttime Mentor/Mentee Game - Monday, June 17th
Clear Lake Bridge Club
In June 2013 Clear Lake Bridge Club purchased their building at 16614 Sea Lark Road, Houston, TX 77062. The club has been leasing about two thirds of the building for about the past 10 years. The club will now occupy the entire building which will allow the club to expand from about 2,000 square feet to over 3,200 square feet. Remodeling plans are underway.
Clear Lake is a full service bridge club with Open Games almost daily and 299er Games at 10am on Tuesday and Thursday. They also have bridge lessons and/or new player games five days a week. Dave Glandorf, a 2013 finalist for ACBL Bridge Teacher Association's Teacher of the year Award, is the club's Education Director. To learn more about the Clear Lake Bridge Club click this Link to their homepage. Clear Lake Bridge Club
Houston Bridge Studio
- New Supervised play on Tuesdays at 2:00 pm. For details, click here.
- Effective May 28, 2013, (Tuesday) the SWDBC will be moved to Houston Jewish Community Center, 5301 South Braeswood in the main auditorium. Both the Tuesday and Wednesday games will be held at 10:30 am.
- Both games will continue at that site until August 12, 2013 at which time we will return tot he Merfish Center at 9000 S. Rice.
- David Dyer will teach a short lesson at 10 am each Tuesday before the game.